The Executive Ph.D. Program welcomes new students in August of each academic year, with a required summer intensive in June-August prior to the official start of the program. Applications are due in March in the year of entry. Early application is encouraged through a priority deadline in January.
The admissions committee makes a holistic review of an applicant's academic and professional experience, as well as their supplemental statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, and in-depth interviews to determine a candidate's readiness to take on doctoral level work.
It is expected that prospective students will connect with our team prior to application so that we may better understand your goals and assess your suitability for the program before you invest the time to apply. This also allows us the opportunity to connect you with faculty in your discipline of interest and schedule a time for you to join us for an in-person residential session to experience the program firsthand.
Once you are invited to apply, detailed application instructions can be found on our Apply Now page.
To complete and submit your Executive Ph.D. application, the following application materials are required:
- Completed online application form
- A scanned copy of official transcripts from all universities or colleges where a degree was conferred
- Unofficial web transcripts downloaded through a university's online portal will not be accepted, except for Virginia Tech alumni.
- Students with degrees from universities outside the U.S. will need to submit a report from a credential evaluation service. TOEFL/IELTS scores may also be required. See Additional Materials for International Students section below.
- A copy of your resume
- Three letters of recommendation sent electronically through the application portal
- Academic and professional goals statement
- Applicants are asked by the Graduate School to provide a 1-2 page double-spaced personal statement that addresses why you are pursuing this degree, why at Virginia Tech, and why now.
- In-depth interviews
- A $75 non-refundable application fee
Please note that GMAT/GRE test scores are not required to apply to the Executive Ph.D. program, but may be submitted in support of your application.
Your application and all supporting materials must be received by our office by the deadline dates listed below. We strongly encourage early application to ensure that your recommenders have ample time to submit their letters before the deadline.
Applications submitted after the deadline will only be considered if space is available. Please email email@example.com to inquire.
|ENTRY TERM||PRIORITY DEADLINE||FINAL DEADLINE|
|Fall 2023||January 15, 2023||March 1, 2023|
- Students with undergraduate degrees from universities outside the U.S. must submit a report from a credential evaluation service that converts grades into a grade point average (GPA) with a course by course breakdown of their degree. The university will accept evaluations done by any credentialing agency listed on the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services web site.
- TOEFL scores are required of all international students whose first language is not English. The university-wide minimum score requirement is 90 for Internet and 577 for paper. Please visit the TOEFL website for additional information on the TOEFL exam.
- TOEFL waivers are provided for:
- U.S. naturalized citizens and permanent residents
- Applicants who have graduated from an accredited university where English is the language of instruction. The language of instruction must be confirmed as English on your transcript evaluation for the Graduate School to provide the waiver.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is also accepted in lieu of the TOEFL. A 6.5 minimum is required to apply.
- Official test scores should be sent to the Virginia Tech Graduate School, institution code 5859. Do not enter a department code.
- Additional information for international graduate students can be found on the Cranwell International Center site.
The Graduate School is pleased to waive the $75 application fee for its military students. You will have an opportunity during the online application to submit the required documentation to receive your waiver. Additional information is provided on our Apply Now page.