Applications for the Virginia Tech Executive Ph.D. program are submitted electronically through the Virginia Tech Graduate School application system. You may save entered information and return to the application system at your own pace.
CREATING AN ACCOUNT
- Go to the Graduate School application portal
- Click the 'Create a New Account' link. Once you confirm your email address, you will receive another email with a temporary passcode.
- Login with your email and temporary passcode
- You will be prompted to create a new passphrase
- Fill in the name fields to finalize your account set up
STARTING YOUR APPLICATION
To start your application:
- Login to the Graduate School application portal with your email address and the passphrase you created
- Click the 'Start New Application' link at the bottom of your home screen
- Select your application term year
- Select your application type as 'Degree Seeking'
COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION
Once you open your application, you will see there are multiple sections to complete. Please fill out the fields as instructed in the application. Additional information for some sections is included below:
- International applicants must apply using your legal name exactly as it appears on your passport
- Returning VT Students must supply your VT student ID number
- The Executive Ph.D. program has a universal tuition fee rate so Virginia residents do not need to complete the in-state tuition questionnaire
- Permanent Residents [PR] must supply a copy of PR registration card
- Non-U.S. citizens must have a visa
Program of Study:
The Executive Ph.D. is officially the Ph.D. in Business: Concentration in Executive Business Research, which may be how the program is referred to in certain sections of the application like the Program of Study. You may also see the shorthand code BXBR. Please note that these are all names for the same program.
- Select 'Executive Business Research' from the 'Program' dropdown
- The form will autopopulate with a "Degree Type' of 'Doctor of Philosophy' and a 'Campus' of 'National Capital Region (D.C.)'
- Your 'Intended Start Term' should also autopopulate with 'Fall' in the year you selected when you created your application.
RETURNING TO YOUR APPLICATION
- Go to the Graduate School application portal
- Login with your email address and the passphrase you created
- Click the link for the application you want to return to
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
- Click the 'Review' section to ensure that all required fields have been filled out
- Submit your application
- Pay the non-refundable application fee ($75) — If you received an application fee waiver code, please be sure to enter this in the 'Financial Assistance' section before submitting your application. All of our military/veteran applicants are eligible for an application fee waiver and should submit their request for a waiver in the 'Financial Assistance' section of our application.
Your application cannot be reviewed until your letters of recommendation are received. We encourage you to send the email requesets to your recommenders through the application portal as soon as possible. This can be done before your application is submitted.
Applicants who are accepted for admission and intend to enroll will need to send an official transcript(s) showing conferral of their degree(s) to the Virginia Tech Graduate Admission Office at:
120 Graduate Life Center
155 Otey Street
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0325
Electronic transcripts should be sent to email@example.com. Contact 540-231-9561 with any questions.
- Students with undergraduate degrees from universities outside the U.S. must submit a report from a credential evaluation service that converts grades into a grade point average (GPA) with a course by course break down of their degree. The university will accept evaluations done by any credentialing agency listed on the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services web site.
- TOEFL scores are required of all international students whose first language is not English. The university-wide minimum score requirement is 90 for Internet and 577 for paper. Please visit the TOEFL website for additional information on the TOEFL exam.
- TOEFL waivers are provided for:
- U.S. naturalized citizens and permanent residents
- Applicants who have graduated from an accredited university where English is the language of instruction. The language of instruction must be confirmed as English on your transcript evaluation for the Graduate School to provide the waiver.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is also accepted in lieu of the TOEFL. A 6.5 minimum is required to apply.
- Official test scores should be sent to the Virginia Tech Graduate School, institution code 5859. Do not enter a department code.
- Additional information for international graduate students can be found on the Cranwell International Center site.
Military applicants can request a waiver for the $75 application fee during the online application process by following the instructions below:
- Start the online application form
- In the Financial Assistance section of the application, check the "Application Fee Waiver Requst" box to add the Fee Waiver Request section to your application
- In the Fee Waiver Request section of the application, select "U.S. Military Service (Active Duty or Veteran Status)" in the qualifying activity dropdown, provide service dates, and upload required documentation